Bruce Tuckman’s Team Development Model describes the phases through forming–storming–norming–performing-adjourning which teams tend to go through from their inception to the successful completion of a project, and identifies the stages along the way at which the team and the project may fail.
The Tuckman Team Development Workshop takes participants through the stages of the Bruce Tuckman Team Development Model and equips them with the skills and tools required to make each phase a success:
- Forming: How to set up the ground rules of behaviour and boundaries to motivate the team and avoid conflicts further down the line.
- Storming: Team members discover that they may have different opinions and ways of achieving outcomes. How these are addressed provides the foundation for strong relationships in the future.
- Norming: The team starts to value each other’s strengths and unites to work towards a common goal. It develops resilience and flexibility in the face of change.
- Performing: The team has become an innovative, high-performing machine comprising people who trust and collaborate with each other. Now it is capable of achieving great things.
- Adjourning: Sometimes the team has to disband when its goals and tasks have been achieved, or it may have to restructure as demands and circumstances change. Bruce Tuckman added this section at a later date to ensure people get closure when seeing out the old and bringing in the new.
The Tuckman Team Development Workshop is highly experiential. Participants are encouraged to draw on their own experiences of team development and apply the principles taught in the workshop to their own workplace situations.
Who is this course for?
The training is delivered to organisations worldwide as a global face-to-face or online programme. It is relevant to CEOs, C-Suite, senior and middle managers and team leaders.
What does this course cover?
The workshop not only offers benefits for the participants’ working lives but for home life too – the structure and techniques can be applied to any sphere of human relationships including those between friends, family, professionals and their clients, teachers and students, and parents raising their children.
At work, there has never been a time of greater conflict between members of newly formed teams than in today’s world of cyclonic corporate change, where relationships are made and changed through global mergers, demergers, portfolio careers, cost- cutting redundancies and widespread lack of ability in organisations to nurture and retain their homegrown talent.
How long is this course?
The workshop can be delivered face-to-face or online, as a one-day event or over a period of 4-12 weeks during which time participants are supported in putting the principles of Bruce Tuckman’s Team Development Model into action.
The Tuckman Team Development Workshop provides resources and a greater understanding of how to build a successful team through the forming–storming–norming–performing model.
For further information or to find out how to bring this training into your organisation, please contact us.