England Rugby is committed to ongoing development of its leadership capability. The organisation is currently supporting its leaders by developing their business coaching skills. Leaders from across the breadth of the organisation, including qualified sports coaches, are working to become ILM endorsed coaches, so the business required an ILM accredited provider to deliver the training.
We provided a five day ILM Accredited Coaching and Mentoring Course spread over a period of three months, led by our Head of Training, James Wright, a qualified sports and business coach with an MSc in Sports Psychology.
The training is delivered in modules of 2 days + 2 days + 1 day, in between which participants are paired to practise with each other. This provides a safe space for them to embed the skills before putting them into place at work, like learning to ride a bike before taking it out on the road.
England Rugby took the innovative approach on day 4 of bringing in staff who were not participants in the training, to help the participants practise for their assessments. This contributed to a wider culture change, in that it gave participants a broader field in which to practise their business coaching skills, and introduced other staff to the benefits of a coaching approach.
We are delivering an average of two courses a year. Applicants gain ILM Endorsed accreditation as professional business coaches, and one is going on to attain a Level 7 qualification.
- “Before completing this course I would have considered myself as someone with good coaching skills. This programme has raised my self-awareness and has given me a number of techniques I can use in my ongoing coaching. It has been thought provoking and very good for my coaching and coaching mind-set.” – Patrick McMaster, Senior L&D Partner
- “Really helpful content and good to draw out the issues. Well structured” – Angus Bujalski, Legal and Governance Director
- “Great content, the course has already made me reflect on my management style and how to improve coaching” – Mark Lynch, Venue Director
- “Brilliant afternoon session and practice. James is so good and I could listen to him for hours.” – Paula Grant, HR Director
- Enjoyed the flow of the four days. Really enjoyed today. Open, honest and feedback based on some ‘real’ examples.” – Don Barrell, Head of Regional Academies and Pathway